More specifically, let’s talk clay. Did you know that clay is the most versatile, profoundly effective, inexpensive, mysterious, underrated health treatment available?
Bentonite clay attracts and neutralizes poisons in the intestinal tract. It can eliminate food allergies, food poisoning, mucus colitis, spastic colitis, viral infections, stomach flu, and parasites (parasites are unable to reproduce in the presence of clay). There is virtually no digestive disease that clay will not treat. It enriches and balances blood. It adsorbs (not a mispelling) radiation (think cell phones, microwaves, x-rays, TVs and irradiated food, for starters). It has been used for alcoholism, arthritis, cataracts, diabetic neuropathy, pain treatment, open wounds, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, stomach ulcers, animal and poisonous insect bites, acne, anemia, autism, in fact, the list of uses is too long for this article. It was used during the Balkan war of 1910 to reduce mortality from cholera among the soldiers from 60% to 3%. (Julie Crist, M. Ac)
The use of clay is as old as civilization itself. Primitive tribes of various continents have used various types of clay for conditions of toxicity. Dr. Weston A. Price in his book, “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration” stated that in studying diets of certain tribes he examined their knapsacks. Among those examined in the high Andes, among those in Central Africa and among the Aborigines of Australia he reported that some contained balls of clay, a little of which was dissolved in water. Into the clay were dipped morsels of food. The explanation was that this was to prevent “sick stomach”. These people were reported to use the clays for combating dysentery and food infections. In South America he found that the Quetchus Indians, believed to be descendants of the once powerful Incas, were largely vegetarians and he stated, “Immediately before eating, their potatoes are dipped into an aqueous suspension of clay, a procedure which is said to prevent ‘souring in the stomach’.”
Animal Behavior and Clay
A study was made of Peruvian parrots which have no need to ingest clay if they are consuming their ideal diets. Their choice to eat fine clay is predominantly a healing instinct, similiar to that of the dog that chooses to eat green grass when ill. The instinctual behavior to eat edible quality clays is widespread, and is shared by horses, dogs and cats, to name a few.
Here’s a view of a claylick where a group of parrots are enjoying the morning “feast” on the main claylick outside the Tambopata Research Center. The claylick is pretty much a simple cliff face. Somehow all of the birds know that if the clay they eat in the morning will dispel the toxins in the poisonous fruit during the day. They only need to eat clay during the times of the year when the non-poisonous fruit is not available. Many species of parrots know to do this. (Mick @ MickTravels Around the World Travel Guide, Copyright 2005, Reserved)
Let’s Talk “Viscosity”
One gram of clay taken internally has the surface area of about 900 square yards! If our intestinal tract were to be laid out flat, it would have the surface area equivalent to a tennis court. Small amount of toxins over that entire area can add up fast. Bentonite clay uses a negative ionic charge to capture and absorb (not a mispelling) toxins. Since many of the toxins in our body are positively charged toxins, they are attracted to and bonded to the clay, making it all that more effective.
Protection from Radiation Exposure
Clay will do more than any other substance (natural or pharmaceutical) to remove radioactive isotopes from our bodies and to assist our bodies in returning to a state of good health. Most of the clean-up at Chernobyl was accomplished with Bentonite Clay.
Nuclear fallout literally “falls” from the sky and can eventually end up in our soil, our water, and our food supply. This silent killer is everywhere present and we are daily exposed to it in our technical world and in our atmosphere. Clay has been successfully for the extraction of radionuclides from human beings and animals. Radiation in excess results in flu-like symptoms and definitely affects the throat or thyroid area as other parts of the body. Sources: computers, microwaves, electric blankets, industrial pollution, nuclear plants, air pollution, x-rays, cell phones, radiation therapy for cancer, televisions, airplane flights, and of course nuclear bombs. Microwave ovens change the molecular structure of food with radiation. Associated symptoms and diseases: anxiety, hysteria, insatiable hunger, feeling of unreality, dizziness and vertigo, rheumatic pains, hearing problems, complete exhaustion, extreme tiredness, mood swings, hot and cold flashes, loss of will power, gastric distress, extreme headache, aches in the joints, memory loss, sore throat and most of all —flu-like symptoms.
How to Use
If you are using a clay internally be sure that the product states that it is safe for internal use. Due to metals and other impurities that may be found in the clays, not all of them can be taken internally. If you are unsure of the purity of the clay, contact the manufacturer.
As with anything else, always check with your doctor before taking internally. Toxins bind to clay, and you wouldn’t want any medicines you’re taking to be rendered useless by being bound to the clay and expelled.
For internal use, mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of the clay in at least 8 ounces of water. Drink the mixture and follow with another 8 ounces of pure water. It has also been found useful to add fiber to this process to help move the clay along through the digestive tract. Here’s a link to some videos which help explain how to mix and use it: http://www.redmondclay.com/about/redmond-clay-video-library/
For external use, mix 1 to 2 tablespoons in a bowl with water or apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is antibacterial which may help alleviate some of the underlying causes that aggravate acne, for example. Add the liquid slowly until you develop a muddy consistency. This part is not as crucial and is really up to your preference. Apply the mixture to your face or any other area and let it dry for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Wash and feel fantastic!
Clays may also be used as a bath. Add 1 to 2 cups of clay to your hot bath water and soak in it for at least 30 minutes for best results. Please note that you’ll need to strain your clay before draining the tub in order to not harm the drain pipes.
A foot bath is also useful for detoxing by adding 3 to 4 tablespoons to a tub of hot water and soaking your feet in it for at least 30 minutes.
Don’t throw away that old clay!
Check this link for uses of clay around the home and garden: http://www.naturalnews.com/034292_bentonite_clay_practical_uses.html
Don’t Forget Your Pets
Oh, and you can stir a little bit of good quality internal use clay into your dogs’ water, too. They’ll love it and it will help with all kinds of internal problems, particularly parasites. Read more here: http://www.aboutclay.com/info/Articles/clay_as_medicine.htm
Bentonite clay has many uses for healing and detoxification that may not have been listed here, and more uses are being found (or rediscovered) every day.
This site has some videos which help explain how to use clay:
Order Bentonite Clay for your home “medicine chest”